Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ma'am!

As I was getting ready to leave the check out line yesterday the sweet younger bagger person nicely asked me, 'Can I help you out with that, Ma'am?.  How nice and respectful.  I promptly told her no and went on my merry little way to my car.  As I was getting closer to my car it hit me, she just called me Ma'am, and I did not like that! 

Not one little bit!

OK, yes I am middle aged and yes I do have a full head of grey hair.  But I don't feel like a Ma'am now, just like I have never ever felt like a Mrs. midMan.  I would always just cringe inside every time one of my boys' friends did the polite thing and called me Mrs. midMan.  That just makes me sound so old, and apparently I have a problem with that.

I started going grey in the head when I turned 22.  I tried to dye it once, which promptly turned back to grey in 30 days.  Such a waste of time and money so I decided to go grey gracefully.  I really thought I was doing a good job of this until yesterday.  I guess I don't want to get old, I don't want to get slow, and I don't want to be called Ma'am or Mrs. midMan.

Now on the other side of this issue I am so excited about becoming a Grandma in two months.  I can't wait to be called Grannie midRae.  I can't wait to hug and cuddle and kiss and love and hug and cuddle and kiss and love that wonderful little bundle of joy that will call me Grannie midRae.  I shall relish the joy of being a Grandma.  I can't wait to sit and read and spoil and bake cookies with this little guy.  Grannie midRae, what an honor. 

Let's see if we can figure this out.  I have grey hair, lots of grey hair.  I am middle aged, 45 to be exact and proud of that.  I don't like to be called Ma'am, it's what I used to call the ladies that were way old.  And please don't call me Mrs. midMan but you can call me Grannie midRae.

HUH?!?

I'm a middle aged woman on the verge of menopause, slowly letting go of my youth and not liking the fact that I need to embrace my middle aged womanly self.  I probably should have embraced the middle aged woman years ago and then I wouldn't be having these issues.  Poor midMan, he has a lot to deal with, no wonder he likes hibernating in our bedroom.  I need to do something about this.

Here goes:

I shall smile nicely when called Ma'am and thank the parents of the nice bagger person for raising such a respectful young person.  I shall smile nicely and love that I am Mrs. midMan, I have always been proud that midMan loves and wants me.  I shall love my grey hair and wear it proudly, thank you Mom, Dad, and God you have all blessed me with some really nice hair.  And I shall find all of the joys of Grandparenthood and roll around and wallow in them until I am nothing but joy and laughter all of the time.  And I promise to finally decide and accept that I am middle aged, but I am still going to wrestle tailEnd and sit on him until he decides he's had enough of getting beat by his mom. 

Middle age can be wonderful.  I am in the best shape of my whole life, I have so much time to share with midMan now that the kids are pretty much grown, I have Grandbaby's to love and watch grow, and I am Mrs. midMan, what a blessing.

Love to All,

Mrs. midMan

1 comment: